5.05.2011

Rational Budgetization

By: Melanie

I realize that this blog has recently become more about money matters than organizing, but I promise you that once we move into our new house in June I will get right back on track with the little green book. For now though, all I can do is daydream and think about things I can't afford. So you're going to have to bear with me for the next three weeks as I rant and ramble about spending, or not spending, the money I don't have. Let's start with spending, shall we?

Yes, yes, we're not supposed to be shopping right now. But here's the way I see it. We need new luggage. In the last four years we've gone through approximately 10 suitcases. That's a lot of suitcases. Not surprisingly, the only ones left standing belong to the set that my parents gave me in high school before my very first international adventure. Everything since then hasn't made it past the 2 year mark. Between shotty craftmanship and violent baggage handlers, none of the last 10 even stood a chance. 

Now it's true that we can make do with the handle-less, dented and torn fragments that remain. Sure, it's not the end of the world. But the fact remains that at some point we will require new, better luggage. And while it's something that we could put on the back burner until a few more important household items have been purchased, I strongly believe in taking advantage of limited windows of retail opportunity. While leafing through the paper earlier this week, my mother-in-law noticed that The Bay was having a one-day, 75%-off sale on luggage. 75%. In my opinion, it would be terribly unwise to pass this up, only to end up saving a paltry 40-50% or *gasp* paying full price later on. I mean, sales come and go, but 75%??! 

We bought beautiful Samsonite suitcases and carry-ons that were regularly priced at $360 and $300, respectively. Total regular price without tax = $1320.00. Ouch.

What we paid including tax = $335.21. Yes.

What if I tell you that I also fell for the oldest trick in the book and signed up for a credit card to get an extra 10% off? You might lose all respect for me, but I can live with that with an extra $132 in my pocket. And a 1-800 number to cancel the card next month.

Now, what to do with our brand new luggage?

No comments:

Post a Comment