3.10.2011

5 weeks and counting...

By: Melanie

I don't think I've ever been this far ahead of the game when it comes to moving. For our biggest move, when we packed up the home we had shared for almost seven years to put most of it in storage indefinitely, I believe I gave myself three weeks to pack. And I was working full time. I also didn't have any pint-sized distractions, so my time was my own. I worked at it solidly for three weeks and at the end, even with the help of my parents, we were still literally throwing our belongings out the back door at 1am on the day that our new tenants were moving in. I'd like to avoid that this time.

This time, I'm planning ahead. There are 5 weeks + 1 day until the Big Move. One of those weeks will be spent vacationing in New Mexico. That leaves 4 weeks + 1 day. When I factor Elle into the equation, I figure that works out to about 2 weeks of productive packing time. So it turns out that I'm already behind. Hmph. It's a good thing that I've already started. Let's see how things are looking, according to my Ultimate Moving Checklist:

4 Weeks Before:

Set a date - April 15th (check!)
Cancel utilities - 2 down, 2 to go (half-check!)
File a change of address - ...
Start a change of address log - ...
Rent a moving truck - U-Haul 14ft truck (check!)
Get moving supplies - boxes, big fat marker, packing tape (thank you online parents group - check!), extra tape and markers ordered (thank you Amazon - check!)
Start separating essential from non-essential - ...
Start packing - ...

If you don't mind, I'm just going to go ahead and pat myself on the back for what I've accomplished so far. And then I'm going to ride the wave of momentum. Next up: Call USPS to file a change of address.

I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment