9.30.2010

The Great Juggling Act

By: Melanie


My biggest challenge so far with this challenge has been keeping up with previous week's tasks while adding new ones.  The good news is that it won't always be like this. In future weeks, once my finances are organized, it's done, and once my closet and my fridge and the toys are organized it will actually save me time. But for right now, trying to remember to make that to-do list and update my planner and stick to the cleaning schedule, all while including me time and sorting out my priorities has got my head spinning.

I dropped the to-do list ball for a few days, but picked it up again yesterday and I feel less overwhelmed already. It really is amazing how much stress it adds to your day when you're trying to keep that list in your head. Now my brain is free to think about any old thing.

I also dropped the Ralph ball a while back. I think it was a combination of the discouragement of seeing him gain weight after all of my effort along with a few days of an extra-hectic schedule. But I've resumed that as well and he seems to appreciate it. I've even taken him off-leash four times so far this week, although he spent quite a bit of time licking his paws after the last outing, so it's back to the leash for a few days to let him recuperate.

And the cleaning. Man it's hard to keep up with the cleaning. Especially when I look at the rooms that have so recently been cleaned and think: It's not even dirty yet! Slippery, slippery slope. I'll do my best to get around one room today.

So, after all that here we are, back at week four with me working on my priorities. Well, this challenge is most definitely on my top ten list. Also on my list is taking care of my health. So yesterday I FINALLY took Elle to the Childwatch at the YMCA and went for a run. It has been many, many...many months since I have gone running. In fact, the last time I exercised regularly was when Elle was 3 months old and we lived in Toronto. But yesterday I dusted off the old sneakers and ran 4.5km. It took me 30 minutes with just one 2 1/2 minute walk break. I'm not qualifying for any marathons, but I was really proud of myself for just doing it after putting it off for so long. And Elle loved Childwatch. I snuck a peek about half way through and she was listening to Carmichael read a story, leaning back on her forearms and looking oh-so-at home. When I went to pick her up she was standing at the door smiling and making faces at the people walking by. So there you have it. Easy peasy. Needless to say the hurdle has been conquered and we will be back next week. Beginners luck? Maybe. But it's a priority and it's one that I can check off of my actual to-do list for this week. Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. I did try to post a comment on the last writing, but I guess I'm not smart enough to do it right, and now I'm trying again. I was telling you how proud I am of you. Anyway, I'm afraid I'm not keeping up at all - maybe it's a bit too soon. I do try to do one or two things a day besides make the bed and do the supper dishes - dusting, tidying etc., but I get tired very easily. Pauline called today and they're coming on Saturday for overnight, so now I really have to clean up the spare room and the bathroom. I worked on it a little today, and tomorrow I'll have to make several stabs at it to get it done. Mainly I've just been using the bed as a place to put everything, so I have to put those things away. Anyway, you're doing a great job! I'm impressed! Love, Mom/Grandma

    ReplyDelete